You don’t even need to leave the house for supplies with these inexpensive spring cleaning tips. Just open your cabinet, make these homemade creations and clean beyond your countertops and cupboards.
Add these suggestions to your spring cleaning to-do list to eliminate odors, remove stains and get rid of food buildup in the kitchen.
“Don’t neglect your kitchen appliances during spring cleaning, your appliances never get a day off. They take the most abuse, yet probably get the least attention. Keep them clean to help them last longer and run more efficiently.
Give spring cleaning a new meaning with these 10 unique and often forgotten tips.
1. To eliminate odors, pour vanilla extract into a bowl with a paper towel and wipe down the refrigerator walls.
2. Soak refrigerator removable parts in the sink with warm, soapy water to remove stains from food spills.
3. To remove food residue, run an empty dishwasher with a cup of white vinegar.
4. Take out oven racks and wash them by hand with warm soap and water to remove caked on food.
5. To eliminate odors, place handful of ice cubes and citrus peels in garbage disposal, turn on cold water and then the disposal for 15-30 seconds. After turning off disposal continue to rinse with hot water for 15 more seconds. Ice cubes in the disposer also sharpens the blades.
6. Wipe interior microwave surfaces with a mixture of two tablespoons baking soda and one quart water to remove food stains.
7. Use a sponge with a mixture of ½ cup bleach, ¼ cup baking soda and four cups warm water to avoid yellowing of white appliances. Let it set for 10 minutes before rinsing and drying.
8. To remove grease buildup from garbage disposal, turn on hot water, then disposal. Squeeze tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in disposal, and run hot water for 15-30 seconds. Turn off disposal and let hot water run until suds are gone.
9. Heat a microwave-safe bowl of vanilla extract for three minutes and use it to wipe surfaces for stubborn residue and stains in the microwave.
10. Clean condenser coils located behind the fridge with a brush or handheld vacuum to remove dirt, dust and pet hair.
“The best way to ensure an odor-free and grease-free kitchen sink is to prevent the smell and buildup before it begins,” said Roger Boucher, president of De Anza Appliance. “A good dose of spring cleaning can clear the air, keeping your garbage disposal in good working condition.”
By following these tips from De Anza Appliance, kitchen appliances and plumbing fixtures will continue to sparkle and smell fresh for many springs to come.